Polling District and Polling Place Review 2023
South Gloucestershire Council have advised of their polling district and polling place review 2023. They say: 'South Gloucestershire Council has a statutory duty to conduct a polling districts and polling place review every five years. The next review will commence on 2 October 2023. This timetable has been designed to enable the changes to be made for the 1 December 2023 revision of the electoral register.
Polling districts are the geographic area, and the polling place is the building or area where the polling stations are located.
The current scheme has been affected by changes resulting from the recent Community Governance Review, which created several new parish councils and amended the internal parish boundaries. Also, the Boundary Commission for England has undertaken a review of parliamentary constituencies. The Commission has now published its final recommendations, and Orders for the new parliamentary constituency boundaries will be made by 1 November 2023.
As part of the compulsory review, local authorities must consider the accessibility of potential polling stations when considering designating or reviewing a polling place. In doing so they must seek to ensure that:
· all electors in a constituency in the local authority area have such reasonable facilities for voting as are practicable in the circumstances,
· so far as is reasonable and practicable every polling place for which it is responsible is accessible to electors who are disabled.
The public consultation will run from 2 October to 30 October 2023. Relevant information and mapping regarding the current arrangements and proposals for changes can be found at https://consultations.southglos.gov.uk/Polling23 or can be inspected at:
• South Gloucestershire Council, Electoral Services, Badminton Road, Yate BS37 5AF
• Kingswood One Stop Shop, Civic Centre, High Street, Kingswood BS15 9TR
• Patchway One Stop Shop, The Patchway Hub, Rodway Road, Patchway BS34 5PE
• Yate One Stop Shop, Kennedy Way, Yate BS37 4DQ (access via West Walk)
• Bradley Stoke Library, 1 Fiddlers Wood Lane, Bradley Stoke, BS32 9BS
• Thornbury Library, St Mary Street, Thornbury, Bristol BS35 2AA'