Before the First World War Patchway boasted little in the way of development, apart from farms, cottages and Victorian houses.
Major development in the area, then part of the Parish of Almondsbury, took place at the end of the 1930s with the building of Callicroft Estate on the fields of Callicroft Farm. Building ceased during World War II, but in 1946 recommenced with the building of 50 houses at Bradley Road by the Air Ministry to rehouse those displaced from Charlton Village. This was followed by Council house building and private development in 1956 and private housing in the 1950s and 1960s on the fields of Stoke Lodge.
During the 1960s development of Coniston Road occurred to house Bristol overspill and the remainder of the Thornbury District waiting list. The development of Highwood, Stokedene and the flats in Coniston Road left little land in the Parish undeveloped.
The Almondsbury Parish Ward of Patchway became a Parish in its own right in 1953. At this time there was no street lighting, no fire station, library, modern clinic, day centre for the elderly, children's play area, cricket and football pitches, high school or sports hall, however, much has now been achieved by the Parish Council to provide these amenities.
The Council is determined to continue the progress made in the interests of all residents.
In 1992 Patchway's boundaries were changed, the Council losing Patchway Common but gaining the Aztec West Business Park, as the boundary now extends to the M5 motorway. In 1997 the Parish Council became a Town Council to reflect its increased population and added duties.